Parents of Grads (and Grads!):
Employment Help & Conversation Starters
When a graduate moves back home, you are likely experiencing communication challenges and your well-meaning advice on managing the jobsearch only brings resentment and frustration. Consider reading the blog: An Open Letter to the Parents of College Grads, and the article: Parents of Grads (and Grads): Dos and Dont’s.
- “I want to respect your boundaries…please help me understand how to help.”
- “You are capable and trustworthy. I believe you will figure this out. Tell me how I can help.
- “I don’t want to impose my ideas on your situation. You are (capable, smart…).”
- “I won’t pretend to know how it feels to you…but I want you to know I support you.”
- “What is this like for you? Help me understand.”
- “This is frustrating for both of us, but I believe in you. We’ll get through this.”
- “Remember when…(tell story)…that’s one reason I believe you are going to make it.
- “I’ve never thought about it like that and I’m interested in seeing the result.”
- “I would like to voice my reservations about this matter; but I will support your decision.”
- “I can’t imagine that, but I support your decision to…”
Tips for selecting professional help:
Services should be up-to-date. This includes:
- Identifying jobs that are a good fit and how to find those opportunities.
- An understanding of the online application systems.
- A cover letter and résumé format that will differentiate the candidate to hiring professionals.
- Management of their online presence including Facebook, LinkedIn, Clickr, etc.
- Interview preparation, both phone, face-to-face, and panel and group interviews.
- Interview follow-up.
- Assessing job offers.
Did I make a good choice? How will I know?
In a word: Motivation!
Your jobseeker should be positively motivated to seek opportunities and apply for jobs, manage their online presence, seek out networking events and opportunities. The career counselor should connect regularly and know how the job search is progressing and monitor the jobseekers level of motivation.
Questions? Please call: (860) 833-4072 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.